Fluxbox is derived from version 0.61.1 of Blackbox, and retains theme compatibility with it, whilst adding numerous extra features. One of the most popular of these is window tabs, which allow a number of windows to be grouped together into one, with named tabs to select which window of the group is visible. This feature can be used to reduce screen clutter, and is similar to the tabbing capabilities of the PWM window manager, and also the Galeon web browser.
Another powerful feature is the keygrabber tool for configuring keyboard shortcuts. It is similar to the bbkeys tool in Blackbox, but has been extended in various ways, including support for sequences of keys, as used by the Emacs editor.
Other features include an iconbar for minimized windows, configurable titlebars, partial GNOME support, and support for KDE dockets and WindowMaker dockapps, which are small applications contained in the "slit" component of Fluxbox (which is inherited from Blackbox).
Here are some screenshots of Fluxbox:
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in April 2003: This screenshot (428k) shows a Fluxbox desktop with many running applications including eterm, xmms, licq, and quanta (a web development tool).
- From email@example.com, added in April 2003: This screenshot (147k) shows Fluxbox 0.1.14 with a modified "almostx" theme, running on Mandrake 9.0. Running applications include gkrellm, gmplayer (aqua-corner skin), gimp, and xmms.
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in April 2003: This screenshot (245k) shows a Fluxbox environment running on FreeBSD 4.7 with the following application: Mozilla, OpenOffice, gvim and rxvt.
- From email@example.com, added in April 2003: This screenshot (389k) shows an impressive version of the Fluxbox logo.
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in April 2003: This 1600x1200 screenshot (213k) shows a fluxbox desktop running Mozilla and the gentoo file manager (not the Gentoo Linux distribution).
- From email@example.com, added in May 2003: This screenshot (136k) shows Fluxbox running with the following apps: mplayer, gkrellm, gaim, and xfe.
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in May 2003: Another Fluxbox screenshot (179k).
- From email@example.com, added in January 2004: Here is a screenshot (182k) of a Fluxbox desktop running Aterm, Xchat, Mozilla, and the Gimp.
The Fluxbox website contains news, downloads, themes, documentation and links.