Enlightenment (known to some as "E") was originally based on fvwm2, but it has since been completely rewritten - apparently sharing no code with any other window manager. This has made it lean, fast and efficient for the task it does. It has been successfully compiled and run on Linux, Solaris, and Digital platforms.
This window manager makes heavy use of the Shape extension and pixmaps, although because of its complete rewrite it is now fairly usable on lower end systems. It is currently in a development release stage where usable distributions are downloadable from the official Enlightenment site. See the page for more details, and the latest update on Enlightenment's status.
See also the following Enlightenment pages:
- Enlightenment Epplets
- Enlightenment themes at Freshmeat (transferred from themes.org)
- Rob's Enlightenment Page
Here are some screenshots:
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in November 1999: screenshot 1 (241k), with the default theme.
- From email@example.com, added in November 1999: screenshot 2 (297k), with the "nIx" theme.
- From firstname.lastname@example.org, added in February 2002: screenshot (147k).
- From xwin (at) slyink.com, added in August 2004: screenshot (146k), from DR16.7 with the "winter" theme.
Many more screenshots are available at the above sites.